These Vegan Chai Cookies are thick, chewy and full of a masala chai blend of spices. They are simple to make and are the perfect flavor of fall and winter baking.
Its fall baking season! And what better way to kick it off than with some spice cookies. these cookies are super easy to make, and very well spiced with masala chai spices. They bake up nice and thick with a chewy interior and the perfect crisp edge.
Ingredients for Making Vegan Chai Cookies
Coconut Oil: I use unrefined coconut oil here. Unrefined coconut oil doesn't have any coconut flavor. And the coconut oil should be room temp. Not completely melted, but not completely hard.
Sugar: Granulated sugar adds structure and sweetness.
Molasses: I use molasses for a brown sugar flavor which I think complements the spices well in these Vegan Chai Cookies. If you don't have molasses, substitute dark brown sugar for the granulated sugar.
Flax Egg: A flax egg is a combination of ground flax and water. It acts as a binder, like an egg would.
Vanilla: For a background flavor.
Flour: I use regular old all purpose, here. I always recommend King Arthur Brand.
Salt: For balance.
Baking Soda: To leaven the cookies.
Masala Chai Spice Blend: Plenty of spices go into these cookies. I'll take more about them below!
Masala Chai Spice Blend
Chai Masala is a spiced tea (masala chai literally means spiced tea) from India. Traditionally, the tea consists of whole spices and black tea that is steeped with milk.
The spices vary the masala chai depending upon region, but the mainstays are cardamom and ginger.
In these vegan chai cookies, I use ground spices for ease. And the spices I use are ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice and clove. But in some chai blends you will find pepper, fennel, nutmeg and more!
How to Store the Vegan Chai Cookies
To store these Vegan Chai Cookies, place them in an airtight container and keep them at room temp for up to 3 days.
OR place them into an airtight container and freeze them for up to a month.
Looking for More Spice Recipes?
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Pumpkin Spice Brownies by: My Vegan Minimalist
Vegan Chai Cookies
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Spatula or Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 Cookie Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 2 tablespoon Ground Flax
- 6 tablespoon Water
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ Cup Refined Coconut Oil Room Temperature
- 1 ¼ Cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Molasses
- 1 ¾ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Allspice
- Pinch Ground Clove
- 2 ¼ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt ¼ teaspoon if using table salt.
To Roll the Cookies
- ⅓ Cup Turbinado Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
Mix the Rolling Sugar
- In a small bowl, combine turbinado sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.⅓ Cup Turbinado Sugar, ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
Make the Cookie Dough
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flax, water and vanilla. Stir and set aside.2 tablespoon Ground Flax, 6 tablespoon Water, 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- In a large bowl, combine coconut oil, sugar and molasses. Mix until well combined and fluffy.½ Cup Refined Coconut Oil, 1 ¼ Cups Granulated Sugar, 2 tablespoon Molasses
- Into the large bowl add cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice and clove. Stir to combine.1 ¾ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon, 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger, ½ teaspoon Ground Cardamom, ¼ teaspoon Ground Allspice, Pinch Ground Clove
- Add the flax egg and stir.
- Add flour, salt and baking soda and stir until just combined.2 ¼ Cups All Purpose Flour, ¾ teaspoon Baking Soda, ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup or large cookie scoop, portion 6 mounds of dough onto the cookie sheet.
- Roll each dough mound in your palms to create a sphere and then roll the dough in the turbinado mixture.
- Evenly space the cookie dough on the baking sheet. Then, gently press the cookies down a bit (see photo for reference).
- Bake in a 350* oven for 15-17 minutes or until the edges are set and starting to turn golden.
- Allow to cook on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Repeat with the remaining cookie dough.