This Vegan Dirty Chai Spice Cake is full of masala chai spices and has a light and fluffy coffee frosting. Its the perfect easy Autumn cake!
Spiced baked goods are the best baked goods. And while pumpkin spice usually takes the front seat, my personal favorite spice blend is a masala chai blend. I put it in cookies like my Vegan Chai Cookies and in whoopie pies like my Vegan Chai Whoopie Pies, and now I'm adding it to a cake!
The addition of cardamom is out of this world. Its amazing in a masala chai latte, and it takes this Vegan Dirty Chai Spice Cake to another level.
Flour: My favorite brand is King Arthur flour.
Baking Powder: To help this cake rise high.
Spices: We use a lot of spice in this recipe. I like to heavily spice my spice recipes. After all, thats why you're making this Vegan Dirty Chai Spice Cake, right?
Brown Sugar: Brown sugar gives this cake a little more depth.
Vegan Butter: Any brand will work!
Non-Dairy Milk: I used oat milk, but any non-dairy milk will work.
Vanilla Extract: Vanilla for background flavor.
What Spices are in a Masala Chai Spice Blend?
Masala chai is a tea drink with Indian origins. And the spice blend in masala chai varies depending on who is making it.
It always contains ginger and cardamom and it usually contains cinnamon and clove.
And sometimes it will contain black pepper, fennel, nutmeg or anise.
I use cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice and clove in this Vegan Dirty Chai Spice Cake.
This Vegan Dirty Chai Spice Cake is super simple to make. Heres how:
First, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and spices in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
Then, in a large bowl, combine sugar, non-dairy milk, melted vegan butter and vanilla and whisk well.
Next, pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk to form the batter.
Finally, pour the batter into a prepared 8x8" pan and bake!
Vegan Coffee Buttercream Frosting
It wouldn't be a Dirty Chai Cake without a coffee element! So, we're making a light fluffy and easy vegan coffee buttercream.
First, dissolve instant coffee in a tablespoon of water and set aside.
Then, cream the vegan butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until its smooth.
Next, add sifted powdered sugar and mix until it comes together.
Finally, add the vanilla and coffee and mix until light and fluffy!
Don't have this combination of masala chai spices? A pumpkin pie spice blend would also be delicious!
Top Recipe Tips
Once the dry ingredients are added to the cake batter, do not over-mix!
Whisk just until the batter is formed.
For the Vegan Coffee Frosting its important to use a non-dairy butter that comes in stick form, not in a tub. I recommend Soy-Free Earth Balance Buttery Sticks.
Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting it. If the cake is even a little bit warm, the frosting will melt.
The Best 8x8" Cake Pan
I have had this 8x8" square cake pan for months now and I love it.
It bakes evenly and is really sturdy.
To store this Vegan Dirty Chai Spice Cake, place the cake in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
Looking For More Spice Recipes?
Vegan Dirty Chai Spice Cake
- 1 8x8" Square Cake Pan
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Spatula
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 Stand or Hand Mixer
- Parchment Paper
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt half this amount if using table salt
- 2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- ¾ teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1 Pinch Ground Cloves
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
- ¾ Cup Non-Dairy Milk
- 6 tablespoon Vegan Butter, Melted
- 2 tsp Vanilla
For the Vegan Coffee Frosting
- 1 tablespoon Instant Coffee
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 8 tablespoon Non-Dairy Butter room temperature
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375* F. Grease an 8x8" cake pan and insert a parchment sling for easy removal. See the photos above for reference.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and all the spices. Whisk to combine.1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt, 2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon, 1 ½ teaspoon Ground Ginger, ¾ teaspoon Ground Cardamom, ¼ teaspoon Ground Allspice, 1 Pinch Ground Cloves
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, non-dairy milk, melted vegan butter and vanilla. Whisk well to combine.1 Cup Light Brown Sugar, packed, ¾ Cup Non-Dairy Milk, 6 tablespoon Vegan Butter, Melted, 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Pour batter into the prepared 8x8" pan and spread with a spatula to distribute the batter.
- Bake in a 375* oven on the middle rack for 30-33 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs attached. Let cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting
- In a small bowl, combine instant coffee and water. Stir well to dissolve the coffee.1 tablespoon Instant Coffee, 1 tablespoon Water
- In a bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the vegan butter until smooth.8 tablespoon Non-Dairy Butter
- Add the sifted powdered sugar and mix on low until combined.2 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- Add vanilla, and the coffee mixture and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy.½ teaspoon Vanilla
- Spread frosting on top of the completely cooled cake with a spoon, knife or offset spatula, slice and serve!