These Vegan Chai Whoopie Pies are soft, moist and filled with a chai masala spice blend. They are sandwiched with vanilla buttercream.
Masala chai is one of my favorite spice combos. Its really all about the cardamom. Cardamom is floral, sweet and goes so nicely with warm Autumn spices. And while we often think as chai as only tea, the combination of spices is also delightful to bake with. And these Vegan Chai Whoopie Pies are one of my favorite ways to use it.
What are Whoopie Pies?
Whoopie Pies are sandwich cookies.
But the thing that makes them different from other sandwich cookies is that the "cookie" part is soft and cakey.
I like to think of them as a fun alternative to cupcakes.
Whoopie pies are filled with buttercream.
I used my Perfect Vegan Vanilla Buttercream, but they would also be incredible with Brown Sugar Buttercream or Maple Bourbon Buttercream.
Also feel free to use store bought buttercream, here.
Flour: Regular all purpose flour, here. My favorite brand is King Arthur.
Leaveners: A combination of baking powder and baking soda help with spread and lift.
Salt: For balance.
Spices: I used a combination of cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cardamom and clove.
Sugar: Regular granulated sugar, here.
Plant Milk: Use whatever plain plant milk you have on hand. I used So Delicious coconut milk.
Canola Oil: To keep the cookie part soft and moist.
Vanilla: For a background flavor.
Vinegar or Lemon Juice: To activate the baking soda.
This recipe for Vegan Chai Whoopie Pies is incredibly easy. It uses my one-bowl method to cut out the extra dish.
First, mix all the wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Then, place a mesh stifter on top of the bowl with the wet ingredients, making sure not to allow the sifter to touch the wet stuff.
Next, add the dry ingredients into the sifter.
Finally, sift it all into the bowl. Done!
Top Recipe Tip
My one big tip for this recipe is to use a cookie scoop to portion the batter out. It will help you to get even and round vegan whoopie pies.
I have this one by Cuisinart. It doesn't matter which brand, but try to get one that is about 1 ½ tablespoons.
To store, place the vegan whoopie pies in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I don't recommend freezing once the cookies are filled with buttercream.
Looking for More Spice Recipes?
Vegan Chai Whoopie Pies
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 Sifter
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Rubber Spatula
- 1 1 ½ Tablespoon Cookie Scoop
- 1 Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- ⅔ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ⅔ Cup Unsweetened Plant Milk
- ⅓ Cup Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice or White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- ½ tsp Ground Cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Clove
To Fill the Whoopie Pies
- 2 Cups Any Buttercream You Choose My vanilla buttercream is linked below
- Preheat oven to 375* F. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Into a large bowl, combine sugar, plant milk, canola oil, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.⅔ Cup Granulated Sugar, ⅔ Cup Unsweetened Plant Milk, ⅓ Cup Canola Oil, 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice or White Vinegar, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Place a mesh sifter on top of the bowl with the wet ingredients making sure not to touch the bottom of the sifter to the liquid.
- Into the sifter add flour, baking powder, baking soda salt and all of the spices. Sift into the wet ingredients. Whisk to combine.1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ½ teaspoon Salt, 2 teaspoon Cinnamon, 1 ½ teaspoon Ground Ginger, ½ teaspoon Ground Cardamom, ⅛ teaspoon Ground Clove, ¼ teaspoon Ground Allspice
- Using a 1 ½ Tablespoon cookie scoop, portion batter out onto your sheet tray leaving 2-3 inches of space to allow the batter to spread.
- Bake in a 375* oven for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies spring back when lightly pushed in the center with a finger.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Once the cookies are completely cool, turn half of them bottom side up and use the same 1 ½ Tablespoon scoop (but heap the scoop) to fill them with buttercream. Then gently press another cookie on top.2 Cups Any Buttercream You Choose
I made these and they were A+. So soft and delicious and easy to make! My whole family loved them🥰.
So happy you liked them!😊