Chai is one of my favorite spice combos. Its really all about the cardamom. Cardamom is floral, sweet and goes so nicely with warm Autumn spices. And while we often think as chai as only tea, the combination of spices is also delightful to bake with. And these One-Bowl Chai Spiced Whoopie Pies are my latest creation.
What are Whoopie Pies?
Whoopie Pies are sandwich cookies. But the thing that makes them different from other sandwich cookies is that the "cookie" part is incredibly soft and cakey. So I like to think of these One-Bowl Chai Spiced Whoopie Pies as a fun alternative to cupcakes.
The chai spiced cookies are cakey and moist. And they are an individual dessert that has plenty of buttercream- its just in the middle! Pretty much like a cupcake, right? To fill my pies, I used my Perfect Vegan Vanilla Buttercream, but they would also be incredible with Brown Sugar Buttercream or Maple Bourbon Buttercream.
The One-Bowl Method
This recipe is incredibly easy and straightforward. It uses my one-bowl method which I'm sure most of you are familiar with by now. But in case you aren't, heres a breakdown. First, mix all the wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Then, place a mesh strainer on top of the bowl with the wet ingredients, making sure not to allow the strainer to touch the wet stuff. Next, add the dry ingredients into the sifter. Then sift it all into the bowl. Done! It saves an extra dish and is more efficient which means you get to eat the whoopie pies just a little bit sooner.
My one big tip for this recipe is to use a cookie scoop to portion the batter out. It will help you to get even and round cookies. I have this one by Cuisinart. It doesn't matter which brand, but try to get one that is about 11/2 tablespoons.
For this recipe, I decided to post a separate recipe card for the chai spice mix so that you can add it to other baked goods. Its delicious in anything that calls for pumpkin or apple pie spice. Simply swap the spice mixes 1:1. It would be amazing in my Honeycrisp Apple Spice Cake or in The BEST Pumpkin Spice Cake! Or even in my Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal.
These One-Bowl Chair Spiced Whoopie Pies are spicy, sweet, so soft, and cakey and are the perfect dessert for any celebration.
One-Bowl Chai Spiced Whoopie Pies
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 4 ¼ teaspoon Chai Spice Mix See spice mix recipe below!
- ⅔ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ⅔ Cup Unsweetened Plant Milk
- ⅓ Cup Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice or White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
To Fill the Whoopie Pies
- 2 Cups Any Buttercream You Choose
- Preheat oven to 375* F. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Into a large bowl, combine sugar, plant milk, canola oil, lemon juice and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Place a mesh sifter on top of the bowl with the wet ingredients making sure not to touch the bottom of the sifter to the liquid. Into the sifter add flour, spice mix, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Sift into the wet ingredients. Whisk to combine.
- Using a 1 ½ Tablespoon cookie scoop, portion batter out onto your sheet tray leaving 2-3 inches of space to allow the batter to spread.
- Bake in a 375* oven for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies spring back when lightly pushed in the center with a finger.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Once the cookies are completely cool, fill with buttercream of choice and serve.
- If you are making these ahead of time, store in the refrigerator until about an hour before you plan to serve.
And here is the chai spice blend for this recipe and beyond! Seriously, this spice blend is great on everything!
Chai Spice Blend
- 4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Ground Ginger
- ½ teaspoon Ground Allspice
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon Cloves
- Combine spices in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Store in an old spice jar or in an airtight container in your spice cupboard.
Let me know how you like this recipe and if there is anything you'd like to see me make next!