This Vegan Chickpea Egg Salad is easy to make and super creamy but is made with no mayo or tofu! This is the perfect no-cook lunch.Jump to Recipe
I make this salad for lunch all the time. It's quick, easy and so delicious. And its endlessly variable depending on what you keep on hand. Once you try it, you will make it as often as I do!
You only need a handful of if ingredients to make this recipe. Heres what they are:
Chickpeas: A can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
Celery: Finely chopped celery for crunch.
Onion: Finely chopped onion for flavor.
Cornichon or Pickles: These are optional, but I love having a little chopped cornichon in my Vegan Chickpea Egg Salad. My favorite brand is Maille.
Tahini: Tahini sauce creates a super creamy dressing.
Lemon Juice or Vinegar: A little acid for the tahini sauce.
Dijon Mustard: And mustard to round it out.
You will not believe how quickly this recipe comes together.
First, since this is a no-mayo and no-tofu vegan chickpea egg salad, we make the creamy tahini dressing.
In a large bowl, combine the tahini, lemon juice and dijon. Mix well. Then, add the water and mix to create a creamy sauce.
Next, add the chickpeas into the bowl and mash them with a fork or a potato masher.
Now, add the celery, onion and cornichon and fold everything together.
Finally, season with salt and pepper and serve!
This Vegan Chickpea Egg Salad would be delicious with ½ teaspoon of curry powder mixed into the sauce.
And it's also delicious with a tablespoon of capers folded in.
Instead of dijon mustard, use whole grain, stone ground or even spicy mustard. I don't recommend yellow mustard.
If you don't have cornichon, an equal amount of any type of pickle would be delicious, here!
If you don't have lemon juice, use white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar.
Top Recipe Tip
Cut the celery and onion as small as you can. This way, you get a little bit of everything in each bite.
I like to eat this Vegan Chickpea Egg Salad as a sandwich, on top of a green salad, or in a grain bowl.
Store this Vegan Chickpea Egg Salad in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
Looking for More Easy Vegan Lunch Ideas?
Kale and Quinoa Lunch Bowl by: A Couple Cooks
Vegan Chickpea Egg Salad (No Mayo)
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Chefs Knife
- 2 tablespoon Tahini
- 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice or white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoon Water
- 1 15 oz Can of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Stalk Celery, finely chopped about ½ cup
- 2 tablespoon Finely Chopped Onion
- 4-5 Cornichon, finely chopped about 2 tablespoons
- Pinch Salt and Black Pepper
- In a large bowl combine the tahini, lemon juice and dijon mustard. Stir well, then add the water and stir again to create the sauce. It will look runny and that's okay.2 tablespoon Tahini, 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice, 1 ½ teaspoon Dijon Mustard, 2 tablespoon Water
- Into the bowl add the chickpeas. Using a fork or potato masher, break the chickpeas apart until they are mostly broken up.1 15 oz Can of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Add the celery, onion and cornichon into the bowl and fold everything together until well combined. Season with salt and pepper and stir once more.1 Stalk Celery, finely chopped, 2 tablespoon Finely Chopped Onion, 4-5 Cornichon, finely chopped, Pinch Salt and Black Pepper
Let me know how this recipe works for you!