This Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins recipe is easy to make, and completely dairy-free and the muffins come out chocolatey, tender and delicious!
I am always looking for more ways to eat chocolate for breakfast. I love to meal prep Chocolate Baked Oats for a super quick breakfast, or mix up a batch of Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes if I have more time.
And now I have these Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins to add to my chocolate-for-breakfast arsenal. These muffins are packed with bananas and tons of chocolate! They are easy to mix together and bake up super. moist and delicious. And they freeze really well so you can have a quick breakfast all week long.
Mashed Overripe Banana: You want the bananas to be super brown for this recipe. If you use just ripe bananas, the muffins may not be sweet enough.
Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder: Use Dutch-processed cocoa powder like Hershey's Special Dark or Dröste. Dutch-processed cocoa had been processed with alkali which changes the pH.
Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips: You can use mini chocolate chips or regular-sized dairy-free chocolate chips for these chocoalte banana muffins. My favorite brand is Enjoy Life.
Instead of canola oil, you can use any neutral oil, like grapeseed or avocado oil. But, don't use coconut oil!
Instead of dark chocolate chips, use white chocolate chips, or chopped nuts if you prefer.
This Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins recipe comes together really quickly. Here's how:
First, combine the mashed banana, granulated sugar, canola oil, non-dairy milk and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Then, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk until everything is just combined.
Then, add the chocolate chips and switch to a spatula to fold them into the batter.
Now, scoop the batter into a prepared muffin pan, top with more chocolate chips and bake!
Expert Tips and Tricks
Once the dry ingredients are added to the mixture, whisk only until the batter comes together. It will look a little lumpy because of the mashed banana and that's okay!
Since these Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins have chocolate chips in them, it can my hard to test for doneness with a toothpick.
Instead, press the top of a muffin with a finger and if it springs back, the muffins are done!
To store, place these Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins into an airtight container and keep at room temperature for up to three days.
Or freeze for up to a month.
Looking for More Breakfast Recipes?
Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Spatula
- 1 12- Cup Muffin Tin
- 12 Paper Muffin Liners
- 1 ½ Cup Mashed Overripe Banana About 3 overripe bananas
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Canola Oil
- ⅓ Cup Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Dutch-Processed Cocoa Powder, sifted see note
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt half this amount if using table salt
- ¾ Cup Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350* and line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed banana, sugar, canola oil, non-dairy milk and vanilla. Whisk well.1 ½ Cup Mashed Overripe Banana, ½ Cup Granulated Sugar, ⅓ Cup Canola Oil, ⅓ Cup Non-Dairy Milk, 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Into the wet ingredients, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk until the batter is just combined.1 Cup All-Purpose Flour, ½ Cup Dutch-Processed Cocoa Powder, sifted, 1 ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Add ½ cup of chocolate chips into the batter and use a rubber spatula to fold them in.¾ Cup Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips, divided
- Spoon batter into lined cupcake pan, filling each approximately ¾ of the way full. Then top with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 32-35 minutes, turning the muffins halfway through baking. To tell if the muffins are done, gently press the center top of one of the muffins and if it springs back, they are done!
Let me know how this recipe works for you!