The other day, my husband Mike and I went to the grocery store to stock up for a couple of weeks so we can limit our time out and about. While we waited in line to pay, I realized I forgot to snag some bananas. So, I asked Mike if he'd grab 5 or so bananas. HE CAME BACK WITH A DOZEN BANANAS. So, I've been using them up by doing what I do best: baking. Recently I've made Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread and some Easy Banana Bread Pancakes are coming soon. Today, we're getting chocolatey. I present: Double Chocolate Banana Muffins.
Muffins are a weird baked good. They are meant to be a breakfast item, but don't typically have many breakfast-y ingredients in them. They are usually loaded with sugar and lean more toward dessert. But, I think they're somewhere in between. I usually eat one (or two) as a mid-day snack, but you do you!
These muffins are moist, mostly sweetened with banana and have a healthy dose of cocoa powder and are studded with chocolate chips. They are so soft, delicious and best of all- easy to make. Other than bananas, they require really basic pantry ingredients!
Since these muffins are chocolate AND have chocolate chips in them, it can be hard to tell when they're done. If you stick a toothpick into a muffin, it will likely go straight through a chocolate chip. Plus, its hard to see browning on a chocolate muffin. The best way to tell is to press the center of a muffin. If it springs back, then its done.
So make these delicious and easy Double Chocolate Banana Muffins as breakfast, snack or dessert. They are delicious no matter the time of day!
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Cocoa Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 ½ Cup Mashed Banana About 3 overripe bananas
- ⅓ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Canola Oil
- ⅓ Cup Plant Milk I used So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ Cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 375* and line a muffin tin with liners.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine mashed banana, sugar, canola oil, plant milk and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add chocolate chips and fold them in.
- Spoon batter into lined cupcake pan, filling each approximately ¾ of the way full.
- Bake in a 375* oven for 30-33 minutes. To tell if the muffins are done, gently press the center top of one of the muffins and if it springs back, its done!
- Cool slightly before enjoying!
Let me know how this recipe works for you!