Happy September! The heatwave has broken and we've had much cooler weather in Boston. Which means baking sounds like fun again! And since its September, spice belongs in everything. This recipe was inspired by pumpkin spice season, and also because my husband constantly talks about my Peanut Butter Blondies. So, I decided to combine the two into something new and festive. I present: The Best Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Blondies.
These blondies are easy to make and require only basic pantry ingredients! The best kind of recipe. This time of year my pantry is always stocked up on canned pumpkin. Its super versatile. I use canned pumpkin in in savory dishes and in baking. I actually prefer it to fresh for most baking because its consistent in flavor and texture. My favorite brands are the classic and ubiquitous Libbys and Farmers Market. They are both great and easy to find.
I used a pumpkin pie spice blend in this recipe because I had it in my pantry. But, if you don't have that, I listed a spice blend in the notes that will do the trick. Its a blend of cinnamon, ginger and allspice. Its the blend I use in pumpkin pie, so its tried and true.
The only flour in this recipe is homemade oat flour. If you have made my Peanut Butter Blondies or my Cinnamon Oat Muffins, you've heard me talk about how much I love oat flour. But, I'll do it again, just for you.
Oat flour is the perfect GF flour because you don't need to blend it with anything. 100% oat flour yeilds soft, moist and sturdy baked goods. Other gluten-free flours can be inaccessible, but oats are available anywhere.
To make your own oat flour, simply process rolled oats in a food processor or blender until they have the texture of flour. So simple! I've made oat flour in both my kitchen aid food processor and in my vitamix blender. Both do the job nicely. Don't sub store bought oat flour here!
These Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Blondies are soft, chewy and filled with pumpkin spice flavor + chocolate chips. The perfect treat for an Autumn day.
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Blondies
- 1 Cup Canned Pumpkin Puree Not Pumpkin Pie Filling!
- ¼ Cup Canola Oil
- ¾ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Molasses
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tablespoon Ground Flax
- 2 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice See note to make your own!
- 2 ½ Cups Homemade Oat Flour Don't sub store bought!
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Prepare a 9x9 pan with pan spray or rub it with coconut oil and then create a parchment sling for easy removal of the blondies. (See pictures)
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, oil, sugar, molasses, vanilla flax, and spices with a whisk.
- Add oat flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and stir to combine with a spatula or wooden spoon. Add most of the chocolate chips (save a few for the top!) and stir to combine.
- Scrape batter into the prepared 9x9 pan and spread evenly. Top with a few more chocolate chips.
- Bake the blondies in a 350* oven for 30-33 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Cool COMPLETELY before removing from the pan to slice.
- These will keep on the counter for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Let me know how you like this recipe and if there is anything you'd like to see me make next!