This Vegan Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes recipe is super simple to make and the cupcakes are completely dairy-free and eggless. They are the perfect fall dessert!
If you are looking for the ultimate Fall dessert, these Vegan Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes are IT. They are so easy to make and they bake up tender, moist and fill your home with the delicious scent of masala chai spices.
Masala chai is one of my all-time favorite spice blends. Its delicious in all types of baked goods! I love adding it to cakes like my Vegan Dirty Chai Cake or cookies like my Vegan Chai Cookies. And it pairs SO nicely with pumpkin desserts.
So today, I'm adding it to pumpkin cupcakes. It adds so much flavor and tastes amazing. I promise you won't be able to eat just one of these!
Flour: I always recommend King Arthur Flour. the quality is unmatched.
Baking Powder: For leavening.
Spices: A combination of masala chai spices makes these Vegan Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes super flavorful.
Canned Pumpkin: I used Libby's.
Oil: I used canola oil, but any neutral oil will work.
Non-Dairy Milk: I used oat milk, but any non-dairy milk will work.
Powdered Sugar: Be sure to sift the powdered sugar for a smooth and creamy frosting.
Molasses: Be sure to use an unsulphured molasses that is not blackstrap molasses. I like Grandma's brand.
If you prefer, you can substitute a pumpkin pie spice blend for the masala chai spices.
These cupcakes will still be absolutely delicious!
These Vegan Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes are super simple to make. Heres how:
First, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and spices in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
Next, in a large bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin, non-dairy milk, canola oil and vanilla and whisk to combine.
Then, add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk once more to form the batter.
Now, scoop the batter into a lined cupcake pan, filling each liner ⅔ of the way, and bake in a 350* oven for about 20 minutes.
And thats it!
Masala Chai Spice Blend
Masala chai is a tea drink with Indian origins. And the spice blend in masala chai varies depending on who is making it.
It always contains ginger and cardamom and it usually contains cinnamon and clove.
And sometimes it will contain black pepper, fennel, nutmeg or anise.
I use cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice and clove in these Vegan Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes.
What Buttercream Frosting to Use
I used my Vegan Brown Sugar Frosting for these eggless and dairy-free pumpkin cupcakes. Its quick, easy and so delicious!
But, if you want to skip the step of making frosting all altogether, use this store-bought vegan buttercream guide to grab one at the grocery store.
How to Frost the Cupcakes
If you don't have a pastry bag, use a small offset spatula or even a butter knife, to spread the frosting onto these Vegan Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes.
My Favorite Pumpkin Brands
My top pick for canned pumpkin puree is Libby's. Its easy to find, and its delicious.
I also like Farmer's Market brand.
Whatever you use, just be sure to use 100% pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix.
Top Recipe Tip
Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting them. If the cupcakes are even a little bit warm, the frosting will melt, leaving you with a big mess.
To store these eggless Vegan Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes, place them in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Allow to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving.
I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
Looking for More Spice Recipes?
Vegan Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- 1 Whisk
- 12 Paper Cupcake Liners
- 1 Cupcake Pan
- 1 Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer with paddle attachment if using stand mixer
- 1 Piping bag and piping tip or knife to frost the cupcakes
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt ¼ teaspoon if using table salt
- 2 ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- ¾ teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar, tightly packed
- ½ Cup Canned Pumpkin Puree not pumpkin pie filling
- ½ Cup Non-Dairy Milk
- ⅓ Cup Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Vegan Brown Sugar Frosting
- 1 Cup Vegan Butter I used Soy-Free Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 tablespoon Unsulphured Molasses see note
To Make the Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, pumpkin puree, non-dairy milk, canola oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine, then add the dry ingredients and whisk to form the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the lined muffin tin, filling each liner about ⅔ of the way. You should get exactly 12 cupcakes.
- Bake in a 350* F oven on the middle rack for 18-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into one of the center cupcakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Make the Buttercream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream the vegan butter until its completely smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix on the lowest speed setting until its combined. Then add the vanilla and molasses and mix on medium speed, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl down every 30 seconds or so, until the mixture is light and fluffy.
Frost the Cupcakes
- Scrape the buttercream into a pastry bag that is fitted with a pastry with and pipe the frosting onto completely cool cupcakes. If you don't have a piping bag, spread the frosting on with a knife or a spatula.