This Vegan Gingerbread Loaf recipe is well-spiced, moist, and topped with plenty of cinnamon streusel. An Autumn baking favorite!
This loaf is one of my favorite things to bake in the cooler months. Its heavily spiced with a combination of warm spices and the cinnamon streusel puts it over the top.
Ingredients for Making Vegan Gingerbread Loaf
Here's what you will need to make this Vegan Gingerbread Loaf recipe:
Whole Wheat Flour: I love baking with whole wheat flour. And I think the flavor complements the warm spices, here.
Leaveners: A combination of baking powder and baking soda help this loaf rise high.
Salt: For balance.
Spices: A combination of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and clove impart that classic gingerbread flavor. If you buy a gingerbread spice blend, feel free to substitute that.
Vegan Milk: I used So Delicious Coconut milk, but use whatever you drink.
Vegan Yogurt: The acidity of yogurt helps the leaveners rise and keep the loaf fluffy.
Sugar: To sweeten and keep the loaf soft.
Canola Oil: For moisture.
Molasses: Unsulphured molasses, not blackstrap. I but Grandmas brand.
Vanilla: As a background flavor.
Making A Vegan Cinnamon Streusel
Streusel really takes this Vegan Gingerbread Loaf to a new level and making is is so simple.
First, combine the streusel ingredients in a small bowl.
Then, either using you hands or a fork, mash the butter into the flour and oat mixture.
And thats it! Now, just top the loaf with it.
How to Store The Vegan Gingerbread Loaf
To store this loaf, slice it and wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and leave it at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Or, transfer to an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to a month.
Looking for More Spice Recipes?
Vegan Gingerbread Loaf
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- 1 Spatula
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Loaf Pan
- Parchment Paper
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt Use a little less if using fine grain salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Allspice
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Clove
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ Cup Molasses
- ½ Cup Plain, Unsweetened Plant Based Yogurt I like So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt
- ⅓ Cup Canola Oil
- ⅔ Cup Plant Milk I used So Delicious Plain Coconut Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
For the Streusel
- 2 tablespoon Plant Based Butter I used Earth Balance
- 2 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ Cup Rolled Oats
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Pinch Kosher Salt
- Preheat oven to 350*. Prepare an 8x4 loaf pan by greasing it with coconut oil or other oil and laying a parchment sling across the bottom of the pan for easy removal. See photos for reference.
Make the Streusel
- Combine all streusel ingredients in a medium bowl. Work together with your hands until everything is well combined and sticks together. Set aside.
For the Gingerbread
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, molasses, oil, yogurt, plant milk and vanilla with a whisk.
- Fit a mesh sifter on top of the bowl with the wet ingredients and add into the sifter: whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and all of the spices.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir with a spatula until just combined.
- Scrape the batter into prepared 8x4 loaf pan, using the spatula to spread the batter into the corners of the pan.
- Top the batter with all of the streusel, gently pressing the streusel into the batter.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 55-60 minutes. Test doneness with a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf. It should come out clean.
- Cool completely before removing from the pan and slicing. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply