Vegan Gingerbread Cookies are well-spiced, crispy and easy to make. And they are fun to decorate with a bit of royal icing!
I love gingerbread cookies. We always made Sugar Cookies for the holidays, but the older I get, the more I prefer gingerbread cookies. They are spicy, crisp and so flavorful. Plus, these Vegan Gingerbread Cookies are easy to make and the perfect snack with a cup of tea.
Vegan Butter: I always recommend Soy-Free Earth Balance. I prefer the flavor over the Original variety.
Sugar: Regular granulated sugar, here.
Black Strap Molasses: For that intense brown sugar flavor.
Non Dairy Milk: For moisture.
Baking Soda: For a little lift, so these cookies bake up crisp, not hard.
Salt: For balance.
Spices: I am not one to skimp on the spices. This recipe uses ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and clove. And plenty of them!
Like most cookies, these Vegan Gingerbread Cookies use the creaming method.
First, cream the butter and sugar together.
Next, add the molasses and plant milk and stir well.
Then, add the flour, baking soda, salt and spices and stir until just combined.
Next, form the dough into a disc and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Finally, roll it out and bake!
How to Decorate
After baking and cooling, I decorated these little cuties with a bit of royal icing, just to accent them.
I don't like to over do it with icing on gingerbread cookies because I think it takes away from the spice flavor. But, decorate them as you like! The royal icing recipe card is on the bottom of this page.
Important Recipe Tips
Don't shortchange the chill time. I know its tempting to just get them in the oven, but the dough will be soft and you will have to use much more flour.
You will be left with tough cookies.
Roll these Vegan Gingerbread Cookies out to ⅛" of an inch. They are meant to be a crisp cookie!
If you are looking for a soft and chewy gingerbread cookie recipe, this is not it! So, don't under bake these hoping for a soft cookie.
I prefer cookies like this to be light and crisp.
Looking For More Spice Recipes?
Chai Spiced Vegan Muffins by: Feel Good Foodie
Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
- 1 Stand Mixer or Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Wooden Spoon
- 1 Cookie Sheet
- 1 Rolling Pin
- Various Cookie Cutters
- 6 tablespoon Non-Dairy Butter
- 7 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Blackstrap Molasses
- 2 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 ½ teaspoon Ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Allspice
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Clove
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment OR un a large bowl with a wooden spoon, cream the non-dairy butter and sugar.6 tablespoon Non-Dairy Butter, 7 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- Add molasses and plant milk and stir well.2 tablespoon Blackstrap Molasses, 2 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
- Add flour, salt, baking soda and all the spices and stir well. The dough should come together fairly easily, but if you need to add 1 or 2 additional teaspoons of plant milk you can.1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt, 2 ½ teaspoon Ginger, 1 ½ teaspoon Cinnamon, ½ teaspoon Allspice, ½ teaspoon Nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon Clove
- Form a disc with the dough, wrap it in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least and hour, or up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 325* and line a sheet tray with parchment.
- Lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin. Roll the gingerbread dough out to about ⅛ of an inch.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut desired shapes. Then transfer cookies to the parchment lined baking sheet. Press remaining scrap dough back into a disc, wrap in plastic and return to the refrigerator.
- Bake cookies in a 325* oven for 18-22 minutes or until they are just starting to darken around the edges and the center of the cookie feels set when you press it with a finger.
- Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to completely cool.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cool completely before decorating.
Vegan Royal Icing
- 1 Medium Bowl
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Sifter
- 1 Whisk
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar Sifted
- ¾ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 tablespoon Plant Milk
- In a large bowl, whisk all ingredients together until a smooth but thick icing forms. If it looks too thick to pipe, add ½ teaspoon more plant milk at a time until the desired consistency is reached.3 Cups Powdered Sugar, ¾ teaspoon Vanilla Extract, 3 tablespoon Plant Milk
- Color as desired with food coloring.
- Pipe or spread onto completely cool cookies.
Leave a Reply