Vegan Gingerbread Hot Chocolate is chocolatey, well-spiced and only requires 5 minutes to make. You will never go back to the packet stuff!
In recent years, the winter has become tea season. But, in my younger years, winter was hot cocoa season. We occasionally had packets of Swiss Miss, but most of the time, we made it from scratch using a recipe from a very old, well-used, handwritten recipe card. This Vegan Gingerbread Hot Chocolate is a delicious, spiced variation of that recipe.
Ingredients for Making Vegan Gingerbread Hot Chocolate
Granulated Sugar: For sweetness.
Spices: A combination of cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg give this vegan hot chocolate that gingerbread flavor.
Water: Water to bloom the spices and the cocoa powder.
Non Dairy Milk: For creaminess. You can use any non dairy milk you prefer. I like coconut and oat milk!
How to Make Homemade Hot Cocoa
This recipe is super simple and only takes five minutes!
First, combine sugar, cocoa powder and spices in a small sauce pan. Add the water and stir.
Heat over medium heat and bring to a full boil rolling boil.
This step is important for two reasons. First, the boil will bloom the spices and the cocoa making this Vegan Gingerbread Hot Chocolate flavorful. Second, it dissolves the granulated sugar.
Once the mixture comes to a rolling boil, simply add the milk and heat it up.
Now its time to serve!
Hot Chocolate Toppings
You can serve your hot chocolate as it is, but I like to add Dandies Vegan Marshmallows and shaved chocolate for the café experience.
To shave chocolate, simply use a vegetable peeler along the side of any chocolate bar.
Looking For More Chocolate Recipes?
Easy Vegan Chocolate by: Minimalist Baker
Vegan Gingerbread Hot Chocolate
- 1 Small Sauce Pan
- 1 Whisk
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 2 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Ginger
- Pinch Allspice
- Pinch Nutmeg
- 3 tablespoon Water
- 1 ¾ Cups Plant Milk of Choice I used Unsweetened So Delicious coconut milk
- Vegan Marshmallows and Shaved Chocolate to Garnish Optional
- Combine sugar, cocoa powder, spices and water in a small saucepan set over medium heat.
- Cook this mixture, stirring regularly, until it reaches a rolling boil. This is important to dissolve the sugar and bloom the spices.
- Reduce heat and slowly add the milk and stir to combine. Cook until mixture is hot.
- Pour into mugs and top with marshmallows and shaved chocolate. Serve.
Let me know how you like this recipe!