This Vegan Dutch Apple Pie Galette is perfect for Fall! The vegan galette dough is quick and easy, the apples are well-spiced and everything is topped with crisp cinnamon streusel.
Its no secret that I love an apple dessert. Whether its my Vegan Apple Cinnamon Crunch Bread, or my Vegan Apple Spice Cake, I just can't stop caking with apples! They are the perfect balance of sweet and tart and pair well with everyone's favorite spice- cinnamon!
And this Vegan Dutch Apple Pie Galette is one of my favorites. The vegan galette dough is easy to make, light and crisp. And it is filled with cinnamon-spiced fresh apples, then topped with a streusel topping that really puts this apple dessert over the top.
What is Dutch Apple Pie?
Dutch apple pie is a variety of the apple pie that most of us know. What makes Dutch apple pie different is that it does have a bottom crust, but instead of a top crust, it is topped with streusel!
So, for this Vegan Dutch Apple Pie Galette, I topped everything this a crisp cinnamon streusel topping.
Apples: I recommend either Granny Smith or Honeycrisp apples, for this recipe.
Vegan Butter: Use a vegan butter that comes in stick form! My top recommendation for pie dough making is Soy-Free Earth Balance Buttery Sticks.
Cornstarch: It seems like such a small amount but don't skip the cornstarch! This will help thicken up any juices released by the apples during baking.
Spices: This recipe uses a combination of ground cinnamon and ginger for a simple, but well spiced flavor.
Instead of the cinnamon and ginger in the streusel and filling, you can substitute pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice.
How to Make Vegan Galette Dough
Galette dough is pie dough! It is super quick and easy and my recipe is ultra-light and flakey. Here is how to make it:
First, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
Then, add the cubed butter and use a fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the butter is the size of large peas.
Next, add the vinegar and three tablespoons of ice water and use the fork to toss everything together. Only add the remaining tablespoon of water if you need it. The dough should look shaggy, but should stick together when pressed.
Now, press the pie dough into a disc, wrap it tightly in plastic and place it into the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours.
How to Make the Galette
I love galettes because they are so much easier to make than pie. Here is how to do it:
First, combine the apples, sugar, cornstarch and spices together in a large bowl. Toss with your hands until well combined and set aside.
Next, roll the pie dough into a roughly 12" circle. It doesn't have to be perfect. This is a rustic tart! Transfer the dough circle to a parchment-lined baking sheet
Now, use your hands to put the apples onto the pie dough, being sure to leave a 2" border. Leave any juice from the apples in the bottom of the bowl.
Then, top the apples with the streusel, and fold the border of the dough onto the apples to create a crust. The dough should overlap a bit every few inches.
Top Recipe Tips
When rolling the vegan galette dough out, move it around after every few rolls to make sure it doesn't stick to your work surface.
If you feel it sticking, use a spatula to release it from the work surface and add a bit more flour.
Bake the galette on the second from bottom rack of the oven. This will help the crust on the bottom to brown.
To store, place this Vegan Dutch Apple Pie Galette in a container with a tight-fitting lid and keep it in the refrigerator for up to three days.
I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
Looking for More Fall Recipes?
Vegan Dutch Apple Pie Galette
- 2 Large Mixing Bowls
- 1 Medium Mixing Bowl
- 1 Fork or Pastry Cutter
- 1 Knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
For the Pie Dough
- 9 tablespoon Vegan Butter, cold, cut into ¼" cubes see note
- 18 tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt halve the amount if using table salt.
- ½ teaspoon White Vinegar
- 3-4 tablespoon Ice Water
For the Streusel
- 9 tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar, tightly packed
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon Vegan Butter, melted
For the Apple Filling
- 3 Medium Apples, peeled, cored and sliced into ¼" slices See note
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar, tightly packed
- 1 ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 2 teaspoon Cornstarch
- Pinch of Salt
To Make the Pie Dough
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Stir to combine, then add the cubed vegan butter. Use a fork to cut the butter into the flour until its the size of large peas.9 tablespoon Vegan Butter, cold, cut into ¼" cubes, 18 tablespoon All Purpose Flour, 2 teaspoon Granulated Sugar, ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Add the vinegar, then add 3 tablespoons of ice water and use the fork to toss everything together. Only use the remaining tablespoon of water if you need it. the pie dough should look shaggy but stick together when pressed.½ teaspoon White Vinegar, 3-4 tablespoon Ice Water
- Press the dough into a disc and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Place the dough in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours, but up to 3 days.
Make the Streusel
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir to distribute the ingredients, then add the melted butter and stir until well combined. The streusel should stick together when squeezed.9 tablespoon All Purpose Flour, ¼ Cup Brown Sugar, tightly packed, ½ teaspoon Cinnamon, 3 tablespoon Vegan Butter, melted
Make the Apple Filling and Assemble the Galette
- Move an oven rack to the place that is second from the bottom. Preheat oven to 425* F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.3 Medium Apples, peeled, cored and sliced into ¼" slices, ¼ Cup Brown Sugar, tightly packed, 1 ½ teaspoon Cinnamon, ¾ teaspoon Ground Ginger, 2 teaspoon Cornstarch, Pinch of Salt
- In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cornstarch and salt. Toss with your hands until well combined.
- Lightly flour a work surface then roll the pie dough out into a rough 12" circle. Its okay if its not perfect. This is a rustic tart!
- Transfer the pie dough to the parchment lined baking sheet. Then, using your hands, place the apples onto the pie dough, leaving any juice that has been released fro the apples in the bowl. Be sure to leave a 2" border.
- Now, add the streusel to the top of the apples. then, fold the border of the pie dough toward the center to create the crust, overlapping itself every few inches to create pleats.
- Bake in a 425* on a rack that is second from the bottom oven for 40-45 minutes, until the crust and streusel topping are golden brown.
- Serve warm.