This Blueberry Buttercream Frosting recipe is simple to make and is the most delicious, fluffy icing for any cake or cupcake! Its smooth, creamy and light and has big blueberry flavor! And best of all, this recipe only requires 4 ingredients and 15 minutes to make.
I love blueberry desserts! I like to use frozen blueberries to make Blueberry Compote, fresh blueberries to make a Vegan Blueberry Cobbler Skillet, and even blueberry jam to make a delicious Blueberry Jam Layer Cake!
But today, were using freeze-dried blueberries to create the most delicious Blueberry Buttercream Frosting recipe.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This is the perfect light and fluffy buttercream frosting recipe. Here are the top 5 reasons I know you're going to love it:
- This frosting uses freeze-dried blueberries, so the frosting stays thick and stable enough to frost cakes.
- This recipe only requires 4 ingredients!
- The buttercream is smooth, creamy and fluffy.
- And it pairs well with so many cake and cupcake flavors like my Vegan Blueberry Chocolate Cake.
- Best of all, its an American buttercream frosting so it only requires 15 minutes to make!
Freeze-Dried Blueberries: Freeze-dried blueberries add all the blueberry flavor without adding too much liquid. I usually get my freeze-dried fruit at Trader Joes, but you can also get freeze-dried blueberries on Amazon!
Powdered Sugar: Powdered sugar adds structure and sweetness.
Lemon Juice: Lemon juice brings the blueberry flavor out!
You need a blender or a food processor to grind the freeze-dried blueberries for this recipe.
You will also need a stand mixer or a hand mixer to mix the blueberry buttercream frosting.
Step 1. Grind freeze dried blueberries in a blender or food processor. Then, sift them to remove the seeds.
Step 2. Cream butter in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
Step 3. Add the freeze dried blueberry powder.
Step 4. And mix until well combined.
Step 5. Add the powdered sugar and mix until well combined again.
Step 6. Then, add lemon juice and non dairy milk and mix until well combined and fluffy!
This Blueberry Buttercream Frosting is the perfect icing for cake decorating, cupcake frosting and more! Here are a few ways you should use it:
- Use it to fill Funfetti Sandwich Cookies.
- Use it to frost a single layer cake like my Vegan Lemon Cake.
- Pipe it onto Vanilla Cardamom Cupcakes.
- Or use it to build a layer for a birthday cake!
Scoop it into an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Or freeze for up to 2 months.
Yes! Store it in the freezer for up to a month. The day before you want to use it, place it in the refrigerator to thaw. Then, an hour before you want to use the frosting, allow it to sit at room temperature.
To use, whip it back up with your stand mixer or hand mixer.
Expert Recipe Tips
Be sure to sift the ground freeze dried blueberries! There will be a lot of seeds that will make your frosting gritty if you don't sift them out.
And for the smoothest frosting, be sure to sift the powdered sugar!
Also, stop mixing and scrape the bowl down regularly to ensure that everything is mixed evenly.
Looking for Easy Vegan Dessert Recipes?
If you tried this Blueberry Buttercream Frosting recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
Blueberry Buttercream Frosting
- 1 Blender or Food Processeor
- 1 Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer with paddle attachment
- 1 Sifter
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 Cup Freeze-Dried Blueberries this is one 1.2 ounce packet
- 1 Cup Non-Dairy Butter
- 3 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
- Place the freeze dried blueberries into a food processor or a blender. Process them until they are a fine powder. Then, sift the seeds out through a fine mesh sifter so just a fine powder remains. See note!1 Cup Freeze-Dried Blueberries
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the non-dairy butter until completely smooth. Scrape the bowl down with a spatula a couple of ties during this process.1 Cup Non-Dairy Butter
- Add the blueberry powder and mix on low until well combined. Then scrape the bowl down with a spatula.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix on low until combined. Then add the lemon juice and non-dairy milk and mix on medium until the buttercream is light and fluffy.3 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted, 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice, 1 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk