This Healthy Blueberry Compote is vegan and is made with no sugar! Its delicious enough to serve with dessert but wholesome enough to serve with breakfast.
After I made my Vanilla Bean Pound Cake, I was left with a few empty vanilla bean pods. Vanilla beans are so flavorful that even the empty pods have a ton of vanilla flavor in the. They are also quite expensive, so to avoid wasting them I made this Healthy Vegan Blueberry Compote. And it is so good that I had to share it here.
If you have made my Vanilla Bean Pound Cake, you will have a few spent vanilla bean pods kicking around. Or, if you have some dried up pods at the bottom of your vanilla sugar, dig those up and put them to use with this Healthy Blueberry Compote.
What is Compote
In its simplest form, compote is fruit cooked with water and sugar. Kind of like a jam with no pectin or any thickener in it. You can get as creative as you like with compotes, adding spices, a mixture of fruits and different sweeteners. This Healthy Blueberry Compote is on the simple side. I use a touch of maple syrup for sweetness, lemon zest and juice to bring out the blueberry flavor, and spent vanilla bean pods for warmth.
Use Frozen Blueberries
In the winter frozen blueberries are the only way to go. Here in Massachusetts, fresh blueberries are incredibly expensive in the winter. And even if you get your hands on a pint or two, they are mediocre at best. So, I always have a big bag of frozen blueberries on hand. They keep forever, they are frozen when ripest, and are generally pretty tasty. And they are perfect for making Healthy Blueberry Compote.
How to use Blueberry Vanilla Compote
Healthy Blueberry Compote has so many uses! Dollop some compote onto ice cream, add it to your morning oat bowl, swirl it into yogurt for a bit of sweetness. Or, you can pour it onto pancakes and waffles in lieu of syrup or scoop onto peanut butter toast rather than traditional jam. I like to add it to my overnight oats and swirl it in. It lends the most delicious fruity flavor.
So use up your empty vanilla bean pods and use this Healthy Blueberry Compote any way you please. The options are endless!
Simple Blueberry Vanilla Compote
- 1 Pound Frozen Blueberries This is about 3 ½ Cups
- ⅓ Cup Water
- 2 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- The Zest of One Lemon
- 1 Vanilla Bean Pod, that has been scraped of its seeds
- 1 Pinch Kosher Salt
- The Juice of ½ a Lemon a little more that 1 Tbsp
- Combine blueberries and water into a large pot over low heat. Gently allow the berries to defrost, stirring occasionally. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Once the berries have defrosted, add the maple syrup, lemon zest, empty vanilla bean pod and salt. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add the lemon juice. Then use a potato masher or the back of a fork to mash the berries to the desired consistency. Remove from heat and serve immediately or allow to cool and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Let me know how you like this recipe!
Leave a Reply