This Vegan Pound Cake Recipe is flavored with real vanilla bean. Its soft and moist and perfect on its own or served with berries and whipped cream.
This pound cake recipe is absolutely delicious. Its a bit softer than a typical pound cake which I find to be too dense. Its simple to make, filled with big vanilla bean flavor and is super versatile. Serve this pound cake as is, with compote or macerated berries or cut it up to make a trifle.
Ingredients for Making Vegan Pound Cake
Vegan Butter: Vegan butter keeps this pound cake recipe tender and moist. My top vegan butter recommendations are Country Crock Plant Butter and Soy Free Earth Balance Buttery Sticks.
Sugar: Regular granulated sugar here. Sugar tenderized, adds structure and promotes browning.
Non-Dairy Milk: I used So Delicious Plain Unsweetened Coconut Milk, but any plain vegan milk will work!
Vegan Yogurt: I used Forager Project Plain Unsweetened Yogurt. Use whichever one you like, just be sure its not flavored.
Lemon Juice or Vinegar: To help activate the leaveners.
Vanilla Extract and Vanilla Bean: I use both vanilla extract and vanilla bean to get a full round vanilla flavor in this Vegan Pound Cake. If you cant find vanilla bean, use ¼ teaspoon of vanilla paste.
Flour: Just basic all purpose.
Leaveners: A combination of baking soda and baking powder help this cake rise tall and stay fluffy and tender.
Salt: For balance.
Working with Whole Vanilla Bean
Vanilla bean is expensive so I don't work with it often. But since its the entire flavor of this vegan vanilla pound cake recipe, I thought it was worth it.
Choose a vanilla bean that looks moist and plump. They dry out and become brittle over time. And a dry vanilla bean is harder to work with and not as flavorful.
Use a paring knife to cut the bean open long ways.
Then, use the back of the blade to scrape all the seeds out of the inside of the bean.
And thats it!
Save the pod for another use. I like to add it into compotes or homemade apple sauce. Or, stick it into a container of white sugar to create vanilla sugar.
Looking for More Loaf Cake Recipes?
Vegan Lemon Loaf by Running on Real Food
Vegan Pound Cake
- 1 Stand Mixer
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 Loaf Pan
- 1 Spatula
- Parchment Paper
For The Loaf
- 10 tablespoon Non Dairy Butter, room temperature I used Country Crock Plant Butter Sticks (avocado oil variety)
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Non Dairy Milk I used So Delicious Coconut Milk
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Non Dairy Yogurt I used Forager Project Plain Yogurt
- 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice or Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Medium Vanilla Bean, split open and seeds scraped out Save the empty pod for another use.
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
For the Glaze
- 3 T Non Dairy Cream Cheese I used Violife Just Like Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ Medium Vanilla Bean Pod, Seeds Scraped and the pod saved for another use Or you can add ½ teaspoon vanilla extract instead
- 1-3 teaspoon Non Dairy Milk I used So Delicious Coconut Milk
- Preheat oven to 350*. Grease and flour an 8 X 4 loaf pan and insert a parchment sling across the center for easy removal after baking.
- Into a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Into another medium bowl, combine non-dairy milk, non-dairy yogurt, lemon juice or vinegar, vanilla extract, and the seeds from the vanilla bean. Whisk well to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Into the stand mixer, add half of the wet mixture and mix on low until it is well combined, scraping the bowl as needed.
- Next, add half of the dry mixture and mix on low until it just begins to combine. Scrape the bowl down.
- Add the remaining wet mixture and mix on low until it just begins to combine, Scrape the bowl down again.
- Finally, add the remaining dry ingredients and mix on low until it is incorporated. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold with a spatula to make sure the bottom of the batter is fully combined.
- Scrape batter into the prepared loaf pan and level the batter out with a spatula or knife.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 42-46 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool for an hour.
For the Icing
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and powdered sugar and vanilla bean seeds or extract. Add plant milk, 1 teaspoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached. This can be more of a frosting or a glaze, depending on preference.
- After the loaf has cooled, pour or spread the icing over the loaf.