These Funfetti Sandwich Cookies are filled with vegan sprinkles and big vanilla flavor. They bake up soft and moist and are the perfect hand-held treat!
These Funfetti Sandwich Cookies are basically a little hand-held cake. The exterior cookies are super soft and moist. They are filled with smooth fluffy buttercream making these little cookies irresistible. And perfect for any celebration!
Ingredients for Funfetti Sandwich Cookies
Flour: Regular all purpose flour here.
Leaveners: A combination of baking powder and baking soda to help these sandwich cookies rise and become nice and soft.
Salt: I always use Kosher salt. If using fine grain salt or table salt, reduce the amount of salt by half.
Sugar: Regular granulated sugar here. Sugar provides sweetness, structure and moisture to the finished product.
Non Dairy Milk: I used oat milk, but any milk will work.
Canola Oil: For moisture. Any neutral oil works here.
White Vinegar: To help the baking soda activate.
Vanilla: A good dose of vanilla for flavor.
Rainbow Sprinkles: Can't have funfetti sandwich cookies without sprinkles!
Are Sprinkles Vegan?
In short, sprinkles are not typically vegan. Most sprinkles in a typical grocery store- think Betty Crocker Brand- have red dye 40 in them which is not vegan.
Whole Foods vegan sprinkles are colored with natural colors like beet juice and spirulina. But, these natural colors oxidize when heated leaving yellow and greenish brown pockets in the cookies.
My favorite vegan sprinkles are rainbow sprinkles from Sweetapolita. They are bright, vibrant and keep their color through the baking process. But, not all of their items are vegan. So, just check the ingredients.
How to Store Funfetti Sandwich Cookies
Store the filled Funfetti Sandwich Cookies in the refrigerator for up to three days. But, allow to come to room temperature before serving. This is so the buttercream is soft.
To freeze, don't fill the cookies with buttercream.
First, allow the cookies to cool.
Next, place the unfilled cookies into an airtight container with sheets of parchment in between layers.
Then, freeze for up to a month.
To serve, thaw the cookies and fill with buttercream.
Looking for More Sandwich Cookies?
Vegan and Gluten Free Sandwich Cookies by: The Pretty Bee
Funfetti Sandwich Cookies
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Spatula
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 2 tablespoon Size Cookie Scoop
- 2 Cookie Sheets
- Parchment Paper
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ⅔ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ⅔ Cup Non Dairy Milk
- ⅓ Cup Canola Oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon White Vinegar or Lemon Juice
- 1 ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 tablespoon Rainbow Sprinkles
Frosting To Fill the Sandwiches
- 8 tablespoon Vegan Butter
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk I used oatmilk
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, non dairy milk, canola oil, vinegar or lemon juice and vanilla. Whisk well.⅔ Cup Granulated Sugar, ⅔ Cup Non Dairy Milk, ⅓ Cup Canola Oil, 1 ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract, 1 ½ teaspoon White Vinegar or Lemon Juice
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Add the sprinkles and using a spatula, fold them in until they are distributed.3 tablespoon Rainbow Sprinkles
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the batter onto prepared trays with at least 2 inches of room between each cookie.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cookie comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
To Make the Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream the vegan butter until completely smooth.8 tablespoon Vegan Butter
- Add the powdered sugar and mix until combined. Then add the vanilla and non-dairy milk and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy.2 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, 1 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
To Fill the Sandwich Cookies
- Use the same 2 tablespoon scoop to scoop buttercream onto half of the sandwich cookies. Top with the remaining cookies and serve.