These Vegan Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes are soft, moist and topped with the most delicious vegan raspberry frosting. The perfect easy dessert recipe!
These cupcakes are soft, moist and so delicious! The lemon cupcakes are made with lemon juice and lemon zest for flavor. No special extracts are required.
Then, they are filled with raspberry jam and topped with a fluffy vegan raspberry frosting. The combination is absolutely delicious and perfect for any time of year.
To make these Vegan Lemon Raspberry cupcakes you need:
Flour: Regular all-purpose flour, here. I always recommend King Arthur.
Baking Powder: For leavening.
Salt: For balance
Non-Dairy Milk: I used oat milk, but any non-dairy milk will work.
Oil: I used canola but any neutral oil will work.
Sugar: For sweetness, moisture and structure.
Lemon Zest and Juice: All of the lemon flavor in this recipe comes from real lemon!
Raspberry Jam: I like Bonne Maman.
These Vegan Lemon Raspberry cupcakes are super easy to make and the batter comes together in a matter of minutes.
First, combine the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
Next, combine the sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl. Using your fingers, rub the lemon zest with the sugar to release the oils.
Then, into the sugar add the non-dairy milk, oil, lemon juice and vanilla and whisk well.
Now, add the dry ingredients and whisk to form the batter.
Finally, scoop the batter into a prepared cupcake pan and bake!
How to Fill the Cupcakes
To fill the Vegan Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes first we have to cut a hole to fill with the raspberry jam.
First, grab a cupcake and a small paring knife.
Then, use the paring knife to cut an approximately one-inch circle while aiming the point of the knife toward the canter. We are trying to cut a cone out of the center.
Now, use the knife to help gently pull the core of the cupcake out.
And thats it! Fill it with jam and top with frosting.
How to Make Vegan Raspberry Frosting
This Vegan Raspberry Frosting Recipe is light, fluffy and full of raspberries.
In this recipe, I use freeze-dried raspberries that are crushed either with a rolling pin or in a food processor.
This way, I can add as much berry flavor as I want without making the frosting too soft.
To make the vegan raspberry frosting, first, cream the vegan butter in the bowl of a stand mixer or in a bowl with a hand mixer.
Then, add crushed freeze-dried raspberries and mix, then add the powdered sugar and mix until combined.
Finally, add the lemon juice and non-dairy milk and mix on medium speed until well combined and fluffy.
My Favorite Piping Tips
My most used piping tip is a Wilton 2D. Its a closed star tip that makes beautiful rosettes.
You can use any piping tip you like to frost these Vegan Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes. Or even spread the frosting on with a knife or a spatula.
Top Recipe Tips
Be sure to rub the lemon zest together with the sugar.
This will release all of the oils from the lemon zest and make the cupcakes perfectly lemony.
When making the vegan raspberry frosting, be sure to crush the freeze-dried raspberries up as much as you can!
This will ensure a lump-free, pipe-able frosting.
To store these Vegan Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes, place them into an airtight container and place them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I don't recommend freezing.
Looking for More Berry Recipes?
Easy Vegan Berry Cobbler by: This First Mess
Vegan Lemon Raspberry Cupackes
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Cupcake Pan
- 1 Hand or Stand Mixer for the frosting
- 1 Rubber Spatula
- 2 Piping Bags optional
For the Cupcakes
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt ¼ teaspoon if using table salt
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- The Zest of 1 Lemon
- ¾ Cup Non-Dairy Milk
- ⅓ Cup Canola Oil
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
For the Raspberry Frosting
- 16 tablespoon Vegan Butter
- 1 ½ Cups Freeze Dried Raspberries this is a whole 1.2oz package
- 3 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 1 ½ teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
To Fill the Cupcakes
- ½ Cup Raspberry Jam
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl. Whisk and set aside.1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest. Rub the lemon zest into the sugar with your fingers to release the oils.1 Cup Granulated Sugar, The Zest of 1 Lemon
- Into the sugar, add the non-dairy milk, oil, lemon juice and vanilla. Whisk well.¾ Cup Non-Dairy Milk, ⅓ Cup Canola Oil, 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk to for the batter.
- Portion the batter into a cupcake tin that is lined with liners. Filling each liner up ⅔ of the way.
- Bake in a 350* F oven for 19-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Make the Frosting
- Completely crush the raspberries into a fine powder with a rolling pin or in a food processor. Set aside.1 ½ Cups Freeze Dried Raspberries
- Cream the vegan butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until fluffy and smooth.16 tablespoon Vegan Butter
- Add the finely crushed raspberries and mix to combine.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix on low until just combined. Then add the lemon juice and mix on medium speed for 30 seconds.3 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted, 1 ½ teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Add the non-dairy milk and mix on medium speed until well combined and fluffy.2 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
Fill and Decorate the Cupcakes
- Using a paring knife, cut a circle into the top of each cupcake, angling the tip of the knife toward the center to create a cone shape. Remove the piece of cupcake.
- Place the jam in a piping bag or a plastic bag and fill the cupcake centers with jam.½ Cup Raspberry Jam
- Top each cupcake with raspberry frosting using a piping bag or by spreading it with a knife.