I know I’ve talked about slow mornings to you guys before. They are my favorite. There is nothing I love more than pouring a cup of coffee and knowing I have nowhere I have to be immediately. I guess it helps that the latest I wake up is 6am. But it also gives me plenty of time to make an elaborate breakfast. So, in the spirit of spice season, I’ve been making these Whole Grain Pumpkin Spice Pancakes.
Whole Grain Flour
These pancakes are pretty similar to my other pancake recipes. I tend to use whole wheat flour in my pancakes. I really like whole wheat flour in pancakes for 2 reasons. First I like the flavor of it. Its nutty and pairs well with the pumpkin spice flavors here. Second is, the nutritional boost. And whole wheat flour doesn’t mess with the texture of pancakes. They are still light, fluffy and tender. My preferred brand is King Arthur Flour, but any brand of whole wheat or white whole wheat will work!
As always I use So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk. Its neutral in flavor, it comes in shelf stable boxes so I can always have some on hand, and its unsweetened. But you can sub any plant milk you have on hand on these. Sweetened or unsweetened.
I used Libbys Pumpkin Puree. If you have fresh pumpkin puree or even leftover baked sweet potato, this would be the perfect recipe to use it in. Just make sure you don’t grab the pumpkin pie filling. The labels are nearly identical!
I like to serve these Whole Grain Pumpkin Spice Pancakes up the classic way: with real maple syrup and non-dairy butter. They are the perfect addition to a slow Fall morning. They are light, fluffy, and taste like Autumn. So whip a batch up and enjoy!
Whole Grain Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 18 Tbsp Plant Milk 1 Cup + 2Tbsp
- 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- Maple Syrup for serving
- In a large bowl, combine plant milk, pumpkin puree, oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and vanilla with a whisk.
- Place a sifter on top of the bowl with the wet ingredients. Be sure that the sifter doesn't touch the wit ingredients.
- Into the sifter combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices and sift them into the wet ingredients. Whisk until just combined.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Spray with non-stick spray or coat with oil.
- Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to portion batter onto the hot pan, gently spreading the batter out with the back of the measuring cup to help the batter spread into a circle.
- Cook as many pancakes as can comfortably fit on your pan at a time. Cook for about 3 minutes or until the first side is golden brown, then flip and repeat on the second side.
- Repeat until all the batter is gone, and serve with plant-based butter and maple syrup!
Let me know how you like this recipe!