These Vegan Coffee Chocolate Chip Cookies are dairy-free, eggless and are full of coffee flavor from instant coffee or espresso and actual ground coffee beans!
I usually use coffee and espresso as a background flavor in chocolate desserts. Espresso powder is in the cake of my Vegan Oreo Cake and its in my Vegan Chocolate Bread, too! In fact, the only recipe I have where coffee is a main flavor is in the frosting of my Vegan Dirty Chai Cake. So, its time to fix that.
And these cookies are seriously addicting. They are thick, chewy, and full of coffee flavor and plenty of chocolate chips. And they are easy to make using basic ingredients. Coffee and chocolate lovers, this one is for you.
Flour: Regular all-purpose flour, here. I always recommend King Arthur Flour.
Brown Sugar: I like dark brown sugar for this Vegan Coffee Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe.
Flax Egg: A combination of ground flax and water makes a flax egg. And this replaces regular egg to keep these coffee cookies eggless.
Instant Coffee Granules: Hydrate the instant coffee in the flax egg and mix it right into the dough.
Ground Coffee: Thats right! Actual coffee grounds. Whatever you use for your morning coffee will be great in these cookies.
Chopped Chocolate or Chocolate Chips: I used a combination.
You won't believe how easy these Vegan Coffee Chocolate Chip Cookies are to make.
First, make the flax egg by combining ground flax and water. Then into the flax egg add the instant coffee and vanilla.
Next, cream non-dairy butter and brown sugar together until fluffy.
Then, add the flax egg into the bowl and mix until combined.
Now, add the flour, leaveners and salt.
Next, add the ground coffee and chocolate chips and stir to distribute.
Finally, scoop the cookies, chill and bake!
Top Recipe Tip
Do not skip the chill time if you want thick cookies!
The chill time allows the flour time to hydrate so the cookies bake up thick and chewy.
You can use either instant espresso or instant coffee for these vegan coffee chocolate chip cookies.
Instant espresso will be a little more intense.
My Favorite Baking Sheets
My favorite baking sheets for any job are these baking sheets by Nordic Ware.
They are thick and sturdy so they bake evenly and will last forever!
My Favorite Vegan Chocolate
For a chocolate bar for chopping I like Endangered Species 72% bar. It's dark but not too dark. Perfect for cookies.
And for chips, I usually go with Enjoy Life.
But, if you are on a budget, check the store-brand semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips! They are usually vegan in my experience.
To store these Vegan Coffee Chocolate Chip Cookies, place them in an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Or freeze for up to a month.
Looking for More Cookie Recipes?
Vegan Coffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 Small Bowl
- 1 Rubber Spatula
- 1 3-4 tablespoon Cookie Scoop
- 2 Baking Sheets
- Parchment Paper
- 2 tablespoon Ground Flax
- 5 tablespoon Water
- 1 tablespoon Instant Coffee Granules Or instant espresso
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 8 tablespoon Non-Dairy Butter, room temperature
- 1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 ¼ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt use ½ teaspoon if using table salt.
- 1 tablespoon Ground Coffee See note
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips or Chopped Chocolate
- In a small bowl, combine ground flax, water, instant coffee and vanilla. Stir to combine and set aside.2 tablespoon Ground Flax, 5 tablespoon Water, 1 tablespoon Instant Coffee Granules, 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the non-dairy butter and brown sugar until fluffy.8 tablespoon Non-Dairy Butter, room temperature, 1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- Add the flax mixture and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir until just combined.2 ¼ Cups All Purpose Flour, 1 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¾ teaspoon Baking Soda, ¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Add the ground coffee and chocolate chips and stir to distribute.1 tablespoon Ground Coffee, 1 Cup Chocolate Chips or Chopped Chocolate
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Use a 3-4 tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop 12-13 dough balls and place them onto the baking sheet. Wrap with plastic wrap and place them in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Line a second baking sheet with parchement.
- Place 6 dough balls onto the baking sheet and bake them in a 350* F oven for 19-21 minutes or until the edges are just set.
- Repeat with the remaining cookie dough.