I forgot how much I love streusel until I made the Gluten Free Bourbon Caramel Apple Crisp the other day. Its SO good- crunchy, sweet, salty and cinnamon-y. So, I decided to create another recipe using streusel and landed squarely on Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake Muffins.
I love muffins, but truth be told I don't eat them for breakfast. They simply don't keep me full. I opt to eat them as a snack, instead. I bake a batch, freeze them and pop one into my toaster oven to warm it up. They are the BEST midday treat.
These muffins are delightful. This recipe contains a whole can of pumpkin and a hefty dose of spices, so they are big of flavor. Your home immediately fills with the sent of the warm spices and streusel. They are not super sweet, so don't make these muffins without the streusel. Since the sweet cinnamon streusel is inside of the muffin as well as on top, it adds a touch of sweetness the muffin which if left out would leave the muffin not quite sweet enough. Plus, the streusel is the best part. I would make a muffin that was only made of streusel if I could. Can I do that?
The streusel is layered into the muffins to make sure there is plenty of streusel throughout. Simply spoon a couple tablespoons of muffin batter into the tin, follow with a sprinkle of streusel, then follow that with more muffin batter until each tin is about ¾ of the way full. Finally, add a big sprinkle of streusel on top and gently press it into the batter to ensure that it bakes to the muffin rather than falling off. The last thing we want is for the streusel to fall off of the muffin before we eat it. It would nothing less than a tragedy.
Also, I grease my muffin tins rather than using paper liners. Paper liners just end up thrown away and they take ½ of the muffin with them when you peel them off. Trust me- a greased muffin tin works just fine, but if you are a paper liner stan, do your thing. But, either way, give the top of the muffin tin a quick once-over with some oil so any streusel bits that bake onto the tin come off easily.
I am on a roll with pumpkin and winter squash recipes lately, so I hope you are not tiring of them. I have a few more up my sleeve before the season is up! But, for today here are some delicious streusel filled Pumpkin Coffee Cake Muffins:
Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake Muffins
For the Streusel
- 4 tablespoon Non Dairy Butter I used Country Crock Plant Butter
- ¼ Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Molasses
- pinch Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
For the Muffins
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp Ginger
- ½ teaspoon Allspice
- ¼ tsp Clove
- 1 15 oz Can Pumpkin Puree Not pumpkin pie filling!
- ¾ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup Canola Oil
- ⅓ Cup Non Dairy Milk of Choice I used WestSoy Unsweetened Soymilk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350*. Grease a muffin tin OR line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine all streusel ingredients with your hands until everything is well combined and the non dairy butter is completely worked into the other ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, non dairy milk, oil, vanilla, spices and salt. Whisk well to combine.
- Into the bowl, add flour, baking soda and baking powder. Stir with a spatula until just combined. Dont overmix.
- Portion a couple of tablespoons of batter into the tins to cover the bottom.
- Next, add a sprinkle (about 2 teaspoons) of streusel onto the later of muffin batter.
- Top with another layer of batter, filling the muffin tins about ¾ of the way full.
- Top the batter with the remaining streusel and gently press the streusel into the muffin batter so it will stay on the muffin as it bakes.
- Bake on the center rack of a 350* oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and eat immediately, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days, or store in a container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Let me know how you liked this recipe and if there is anything you want me to make next!