This Vegan Garlic Butter is a simple and flavorful compound butter that uses dairy free butter, fresh garlic and herbs to create a delicious and versatile spread.
Garlic butter is universally adored, right? I'm always finding things to add garlic butter to. Its flavorful and versatile. It can be used as a spread, added into sauces or cooked with!
This Vegan Garlic Butter is no exception. This garlic and herb compound butter takes mere minutes to stir together and its absolutely FULL of flavor.
This compound butter only has 5 ingredients- and thats including salt and pepper! This recipe is pretty fool proof, but lets dive into the ingredients.
Vegan Butter: I chose Country Crock Plant Butter (the avocado oil variety) for this garlic and herb compound butter. I love the flavor of it and its easy to find for me. Use ANY vegan butter that you prefer here.
You know i use a TON of earth balance- its my old standby. But, I tend to favor earth balance for baking but country crock plant butter for savory recipes.
Garlic: Fresh garlic, please. Not the kind in a jar!
Chives: Chives have a mild onion flavor that complements the garlic. You CAN leave this out if you like. Or if you have italian parsley or basil on hand, both would be delicious swaps, depending on what you plant to use the garlic butter for.
Black Pepper: Because black pepper belongs in everything.
Kosher Salt: Kosher salt will help make the garlic paste which we will get to in the next section!
How to make Vegan Garlic Butter
First, the vegan butter needs to be completely room temp. This is crucial. It will allow everything to mix together much better than a cold non dairy butter will. And, we want these flavors to permeate throughout the dairy free garlic butter.
Second, prepare the garlic paste. Peel two medium cloves of garlic and smash them with the fat side of the knife. Then mince. Once the garlic is minced, sprinkle it with a pinch of kosher salt. Next, using the flat side of the knife, mash the garlic by dragging the knife along the cutting board while pressing down with your fingers. The kosher salt not only acts as an abrasive here, but also pulls some moisture from the garlic which helps the process along.
Then, finely chop the chives.
And then, simply combine everything in a bowl with a spatula and you have Vegan Garlic Butter. You can stop here, or you can scrape the mixture onto a piece of parchment and form it into a log and chill it, as I have done here.
Then use as desired!
Looking for More Garlicky Recipes?
Garlic Butter Cauliflower Steaks with Balsamic Veggies
Garlic Butter Butternut Squash Steaks
Vegan Garlic Butter
- Cutting Board
- Chefs Knife
- Small Bowl
- Parchment Paper
- 8 tablespoon Vegan Butter, room temp I used Country Crock Plant Butter (avocado oil variety)
- 3 Medium Cloves of Garlic
- 2 tablespoon Finely Chopped Chives optional
- Pinch Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper to Taste
- First make the garlic paste. Peel the garlic cloves and smash them using the flat side of the chefs knife, then mince. Next, sprinkle the minced garlic with a pinch of salt. Then, using the side of the knife, press into the garlic and drag the knife towards you, using firm pressure. Repeat that action until the garlic is a a paste.
- In a small bowl, combine vegan butter, garlic paste, chives and black pepper. Stir well with a spatula.
- Transfer to a small bowl or container to refrigerate OR scrape mixture onto a piece of parchment paper and form into a log. Twist the ends to seal and refrigerate.
- Use as desired.
Leave a Reply