These Vegan Sticky Sesame Chickpeas are done in under 20 minutes and use only pantry ingredients. They are sweet, spicy and delicious!
These Sticky Chickpeas are the easiest dinner recipe. They come together in just 20 minutes and are perfect over rice. Best of all, you only need a can of chickpeas and a few other pantry ingredients.
Ingredients for Making Vegan Sticky Sesame Chickpeas
Chickpeas: A can of drained and rinsed chickpeas. I try to buy low sodium.
Canola Oil: Or any other neutral cooking oil.
Sambal: Sambal is a chili paste that is easy to find in the Asian section of your supermarket. If you are sensitive to spice, add less than this recipe calls for. You can always add more to the finished dish!
Agave Nectar: Agave nectar adds a hint of sweetness.
Cornstarch: This thickens the sauce for the sticky chickpeas.
Rice Vinegar: Rice vinegar adds acidity.
Soy Sauce: For a little deep saltiness.
Toasted Sesame Oil: Make sure its toasted sesame oil not just regular sesame oil! If you don't like sesame oil, you can leave this out.
Garlic Powder: For a little garlic flavor.
Ground Ginger: For flavor.
Water: Without water, the sauce would be too strong, so I use a bit of water to dilute it.
How to Make Vegan Sticky Sesame Chickpeas
This Vegan Sticky Sesame Chickpeas recipe comes together really fast so its important to have everything ready.
First, mix the sauce. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well to combine and set aside.
Then, sauté chickpeas in oil for about 3-4 minutes.
Next, pour the sauce into the pan, stirring quickly. It will bubble and thicken pretty quickly.
Then, remove from heat and serve!
How to Store the Chickpeas
Store any leftovers in a container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
To reheat, add about a tablespoon of water and then reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
I don't recommend freezing these Vegan Sticky Sesame Chickpeas.
Looking for More Easy Dinner Recipes?
Polenta with Broccoli Rabe and White Beans
Buffalo Cauliflower Rice and Black Bean Burritos
Easy BBQ Tofu by: A Couple Cooks
Vegan Sticky Sesame Chickpeas
- 1 10" Skillet
- 1 Small Bowl
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Spatula or Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
For the Sauce
- 1-2 tablespoon Sambal or less if you are really sensitive to spice!
- 1 tablespoon Agave Nectar or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 2 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- 6 tablespoon Water
To Cook the Chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 15oz Can of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- First make the sauce. In a small bowl, combine Sambal, agave, cornstarch, rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and water. Whisk well to combine.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and chickpeas. Sauté chickpeas for about 5 minutes, stirring very occasionally.
- Once the chickpeas are lightly browned, turn head down to low then stir the sauce once more and add to the pan. Stir quickly, and let sauce simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Let me know how this recipe worked for you and if there is anything you'd like to see me make next!
Leave a Reply