These Birthday Cake Scones are basically a funfetti cake in scone form! They are quick and easy and super tender and moist. They have big vanilla flavor and plenty of sprinkles.
These scones are super easy and quick to make. They are done from start to out of the oven in just over 30 minutes. These Birthday Cake Scones are Filled to the brim with sprinkles and topped with a thick vanilla glaze. And, that makes them perfect brunch treat.
Ingredients to make Birthday Cake Scones
Vegan Butter: Make sure this is a stick from butter and not the kind that comes in a tub. The sticks will be more firm which is necessary for scones. I prefer Soy-Free Earth Balance Buttery Sticks.
Flour: Regular all purpose flour, here.
Sugar: don't decrease the amount of sugar in this recipe. Sugar adds structure, promotes browning and add moisture to the finished scone.
Leaveners: A combo of baking powder and baking soda for a high rise.
Salt: For balance.
Milk: I used oat milk but any milk will do.
Lemon Juice: I use lemon juice to combine with the milk to make a buttermilk.
Vanilla: A hefty dose of vanilla gives these Birthday Cake Scones their flavor.
Rainbow Sprinkles: And plenty of rainbow sprinkles give the scones their funfetti look.
Make the Vanilla Glaze
The vanilla glaze makes these scones.
To make the glaze, simply add powdered sugar to a bowl followed by vanilla extract.
Then, add a tablespoon of milk and mix until everything is well combined.
Next, add up to 1 teaspoon more milk to reach the desired consistency.
And thats it! Spread the glaze on the scones, and top with a few more sprinkles.
Scone Making Tips
Two main things to look out for when making these Birthday Cake Scones.
First, is keep the ingredients cold. So, cube the non dairy butter and stick it back into the fridge. And, mix the milk with the vanilla and lemon juice then stick it back into the fridge until you need it.
Next, is don't work the dough too much. Use your hands to mix the dough gently. And mix until the dough just comes together. Then, gently pat the dough out onto a surface to cut it.
How to Store Birthday Cake Scones
To store these birthday cake scones, place them into an airtight container and keep them at room temperature for up to two days.
Or, freeze the unbaked scones after cutting them. Place them into a bag or container and freeze for up to a month.
Then, remove them from the freezer, thaw and proceed with baking.
Looking for More Scone Recipes?
Vegan Scones by: School Night Vegan
Birthday Cake Scones
- 1 Large Bowl
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 Chefs Knife
- 1 Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Small Bowl
- 8 tablespoon Vegan Butter, cold, cubed into ¼ inch cubes
- ½ Cup Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice or White Vinegar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Flour
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ⅓ Cup Rainbow Sprinkles
For the Glaze
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3-4 teaspoon Non-Dairy Milk
- Rainbow Sprinkles for Topping
- Preheat oven to 425* F. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Combine non dairy milk, lemon juice and vanilla in a small bowl. Stir and place in the fridge.½ Cup Non-Dairy Milk, 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice or White Vinegar, 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, stir to combine.2 Cups Flour, ½ Cup Sugar, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Into the flour mixture, add the cold cubed butter and work it into the flour with your hands until its the size of small peas or really coarse meal.8 tablespoon Vegan Butter, cold, cubed into ¼ inch cubes
- Add the sprinkles into the bowl and toss to distribute.⅓ Cup Rainbow Sprinkles
- Into the bowl add the milk mixture.
- Using your hands, toss the mixture together until everything is moistened.
- Pour the shaggy dough onto a lightly floured surface and press it into a rectangle that is approximately 4x8.
- Cut the rectangle into 8 scones (see photo for reference)
- Place the scones onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a 425* F oven for 14-16 minutes or until the bottom of the scones is browned all the way across and they are starting to brown on top.
Make the Glaze
- While the scones are in the oven, combine powdered sugar, vanilla and 3 teaspoon of non dairy milk in a small bowl.1 Cup Powdered Sugar, ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract, 3-4 teaspoon Non-Dairy Milk
- Whisk until smooth and then add another teaspoon of milk if you want to thin the mixture out a bit more.
Top the Scones
- Allow the scones to cool slightly, then spread with glaze and top with a few ore rainbow sprinkles.Rainbow Sprinkles for Topping