This Vegan Parsley Scallion Pesto Recipe is ready in about 10 minutes right in your food processor! Its delicious on sandwiches, pizza, pasta and more.
Pesto is a quick and easy way to use up herbs and is maybe the fastest sauce ever. It takes about the same time as it does to whip up my Vegan Honey Mustard Dressing and is way faster than a Hearty Marinara Sauce and a Vegan Puttanesca, but is not short on flavor.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
There are so many reasons why you are going to love this Vegan Scallion Parsley Pesto recipe, but here are my top 5:
- Its ready in 10 minutes.
- The food processor does all the work.
- Its delicious on pizza, pasta and sandwiches
- It has big flavor!
- This pesto stays bright green for days since we use parsey and scallion instead of basil.
Scallions: Use a whole bunch of scallions here. But, just the light green and green tops. The white parts are a bit too pungent for this, so save them for another recipe.
Parsley: Flat leaf parsley adds a light and bright flavor that complements the scallion really nicely.
Lemon Zest and Juice: To add brightness to the Vegan Parsley Scallion Pesto
Nutritional Yeast: For a cheesy flavor without the dairy.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Be sure to use a good quality extra virgin olive oil, here.
If you need basil in your pesto, swap the parsley for basil!
If you like a runnier pesto, add up to 3 tablespoons more olive oil.
You will need a food processor for this recipe. I have this one by Kitchen Aid.
But this recipe will fit in a mini food processor like this 4 cup version by Cuisinart.
How to Make This Recipe
Step 1. Remove the white parts of the scallions and set aside.
Step 2. Roughly chop the parsley and the green parts of the scallion.
Step 3. Add hempseeds, nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice into a food processor.
Step 4. Pulse to make a paste.
Step 5. Add the roughly chopped parsley and scallions and pulse to chop.
Step 6. Then stream extra virgin olive oil in while the food processor is running and process until smooth and creamy.
I like to put this Vegan Parsley Scallion Pesto on:
- Vegan Garlic and Herb White Bean Dip or Hummus
- Sandwiches like a Vegan Chickpea Egg Salad Sandwich or Wraps
- Tofu Scramble
And so much more! This stuff is good on everything.
Expert Tips and Tricks
Season this pesto really well with salt and pepper. When you use pesto, its typically a small amount, so it needs to pack a big flavor punch!
Scoop the pesto into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
I do not recommend freezing the pesto.
I made this pesto recipe super thick so you can use it as a spread. To make it runnier, simply add up to 3 additional tablespoons of olive oil.
Looking for More Italian Recipes?
If you tried this Vegan Parsley Scallion Pesto recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
Vegan Parsley Scallion Pesto
- 1 Food Processor
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Chefs Knife
- 1 Rubber Spatula
- ¼ Cup Hemp Seeds Or pinenuts
- 2 ½ tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Large Garlic Clove
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 Bunch Scallions, light green and green parts only, roughly chopped This should be about 1 ½ cups
- 1 ½ Cups Parsley Leaves, lightly packed
- ⅓ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Combine hempseeds, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, a garlic clove, the lemon zest and salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until well combined.¼ Cup Hemp Seeds, 2 ½ tablespoon Lemon Juice, 2 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast, 1 Large Garlic Clove, Zest of ½ a lemon, Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Into the food processor add the scallion and parsley. Pulse until well chopped.1 Bunch Scallions, light green and green parts only, roughly chopped, 1 ½ Cups Parsley Leaves, lightly packed
- Turn the food processor on high and slowly stream in the olive oil.⅓ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Continue processing until the pesto is as smooth as you like it. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve on pasta or on a sandwich!