This Vegan Cookie Dough Cake recipe is the perfect birthday cake. Its decadent, beautiful and filled with cookie dough!
This is my ultimate dessert recipe. Cake AND cookie dough in one place? This Vegan Cookie Dough Cake recipe is simple and delicious. Its perfect for any celebration at during any time of the year.
Flour: Regular all purpose flour, here.
Leaveners: I use a combination of baking soda and baking powder in this recipe.
Salt: For balance.
Sugar: Regular granulated sugar.
Plant Milk: Any plant milk will work.
Vegan Butter: I recommend Soy Free Earth Balance Buttery Sticks or Country Crock Buttery Sticks.
Vanilla: For background flavor.
Molasses: Regular, not blackstrap.
Lemon Juice: You won't taste this in the final product, but it activates the baking soda.
Chopped Chocolate: Chopped chocolate goes into the cakes and on top of the finished cake.
Vanilla Buttercream: Use store bought or my Vegan Vanilla Buttercream recipe.
Cookie Dough: Use store bought OR ½ recipe of my Vegan Levain Cookie dough.
Making the cake layers for this cookie dough birthday cake is really simple.
First, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
Next, combine the sugar, plant milk, melted vegan butter, molasses, lemon juice and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk well.
Then, add the dries into the wets and whisk just until the batter is formed.
Now, portion the cake batter into your preferred size cake pan.
Finally, top each cake with chopped chocolate and bake!
Choose Your Cake Size
I baked these cakes into 3 6 inch cake layers.
But, this recipe can also be baked into 2 8 inch cake pans. The brand that I have linked (Fat Daddio's) is my personal favorite brand of cake pan.
However, if stacking a cake is intimidating to you this Vegan Cookie Dough Cake recipe can also be made into cupcakes! It will bake approximately 14 or so.
Then, either hollow out the center and stuff the cupcakes with a bit of cookie dough, OR simply frost them and put cookie dough chunks on top.
Choose Your Buttercream
I frosted the layers of my Vegan Cookie Dough Cake with my Perfect Vanilla Buttercream.
To store this cake, place the cake into a cake box or other large container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Looking for More Cookie Recipes?
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies by: Purely Kaylie
Vegan Cookie Dough Cake
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Rubber Spatula
- Cake Pans of choice either 3 6" or 2 8"
- 1 Cake Stand
- 1 Offset Spatula or spoon or butter knife for frosting
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar
- ¾ Cup Plant Milk
- 1 ½ tablespoon Fancy Molasses not blackstrap
- 11/2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 8 tablespoon Non-Dairy Butter, melted and cooled
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped This is about ½ cup chopped chocolate
To Decorate the Cake
- ½ Recipe Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough or about 1 ½ cups store bought cookie dough
- 1 Recipe Perfect Vegan Vanilla Buttercream or 3 cups store bought frosting
- ¼ Cup Finely Chopped Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Line a cupcake tin with liners OR grease 3 6 inch cake pans OR 2 8 inch cake pans and line the bottoms of the pans with parchment to prevent sticking.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk well.1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, molasses, plant milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Whisk to combine.1 Cup Sugar, ¾ Cup Plant Milk, 1 ½ tablespoon Fancy Molasses, 11/2 teaspoon Lemon Juice, 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Slowly pour melted plant based butter into the liquid ingredients and whisk well.8 tablespoon Non-Dairy Butter, melted and cooled
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk to form a batter.
- Divide the batter equally between pans. See note for weights.
- Sprinkle the tops of the batter with the chopped chocolate and using a knife, swirl the chocolate into the batter while also spreading the batter out evenly across the pan.2 oz semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Bake the cakes in a 375* oven for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating.
To build the cake:
- Start with one layer of cake and spread vanilla buttercream across the top.1 Recipe Perfect Vegan Vanilla Buttercream
- Then a crumble a scant ½ cup of cookie dough across the buttercream and top with another cake layer.½ Recipe Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Frost the outside of the cake with vanilla buttercream and decorate with more cookie dough pieces and sprinkle with finely chopped chocolate.¼ Cup Finely Chopped Semi-Sweet Chocolate
Let me know how you like this recipe and if there is anything you'd like to see me make next!