It has been a while since I shared a cake recipe here! A lot of my cake recipes are really Autumn or Winter, so I wanted to share a year-round-appropriate cake. And what is better any time of year than cookie dough? Well, the only thing that is better is when its combined with cake to make a Vegan Cookie Dough Cake.
This cake is a cookie lovers dream. The cake layers taste like a warm chocolate chip cookie, thanks to the addition of molasses for that brown sugar flavor and chopped semi sweet chocolate.
But, I didn't stop there. I also made a ½ batch of my Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookie dough. And then I stuffed the dough between the cake layers for maximum cookie dough flavor. The cookie dough between the layers makes this Vegan Cookie Dough Cake EXTRA decadent. But if you want to use store-bought, I won't tell.
Choose Your Vegan Cookie Dough Cake Size
However, if stacking a cake is intimidating to you, fear not! This Vegan Cookie Dough Cake can also be made into cupcakes! I imagine it will bake approximately 14 or so. Then, either hollow out the center and stuff the cupcakes with a bit of cookie dough, OR simply frost them and put cookie dough chunks on top.
Choose Your Buttercream
I frosted the layers of my Vegan Cookie Dough Cake with my Perfect Vanilla Buttercream. But if you are a chocolate lover, it would also be great with Chocolate Buttercream or even Brown Sugar Buttercream.
This Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cake is a cookie dough lovers dream. Serve it for any occasion, any time of year for the ultimate treat.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cake
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar
- ¾ Cup Plant Milk
- 1 ½ tablespoon Fancy Molasses not blackstrap
- 8 tablespoon Non-Dairy Butter, melted and cooled
- 11/2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped This is about ½ cup chopped chocolate
To Decorate the Cake
- ½ Recipe Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Or store bought cookie dough!
- 1 Recipe Perfect Vegan Vanilla Buttercream
- ¼ Cup Finely Chopped Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Line a cupcake tin with liners OR grease 3 6 inch cake pans OR 2 8 inch cake pans and line the bottoms of the pans with parchment to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, molasses, plant milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly pour melted plant based butter into the liquid ingredients and whisk well.
- Next, fit a sifter on top of the bowl with the liquids, being sure not to allow the sifter to touch the liquid. Into the sifter add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients into the and whisk to combine.
- If using cake pans, divide the batter equally between pans. See note for weights.
- Sprinkle the tops of the batter with the chopped chocolate and using a knife, swirl the chocolate into the batter while also spreading the batter out evenly across the pan.
- Bake the cakes in a 375* oven for 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating.
To build the cake:
- Start with one layer of cake and spread vanilla buttercream across the top. Then crumble cookie dough across the buttercream. Repeat with the next cake and top with the final cake.
- Frost the outside of the cake with vanilla buttercream and decorate with more cookie dough pieces and sprinkle with shaved chocolate.
Let me know how you like this recipe and if there is anything you'd like to see me make next!