This Oat Milk Hot Cocoa is easy, quick and creamy- the perfect hot chocolate to make on a chilly day. It also only requires 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to make!
Hot chocolate is one of the best winter time drinks. Its warm, cream and best of all- chocolatey. This Oat Milk Hot Cocoa is a variation of a recipe I grew up making with my mom. And I'm pretty sure my mom grew up making it with her mom. Its simple, quick and absolutely delicious. If you have never made homemade hot cocoa before, after you try this you will never turn back!
Ingredients for Making Oat Milk Hot Cocoa
You likely have everything you need to make this Oat Milk Hot Cocoa in your pantry and refrigerator right now. Its incredibly simple and straight forward.
Cocoa Powder: Cocoa powder is the most important ingredient in this recipe. So, use a high quality cocoa. Lately my favorite has been Whole Foods 365 Cocoa Powder. It has a rich and round flavor and its rainforest alliance certified.
Granulated Sugar: Regular old granulated sugar to sweeten things up.
Salt: A pinch of salt balances everything and brings the chocolate flavor out.
Water: The water is used to dissolve the sugar and bloom the cocoa.
Oat Milk: Oat milk is super creamy and luxurious tasting. Which makes it the perfect non dairy milk for hot chocolate. I used Chobani No Sugar Oat Milk here. But, any plain oat milk will work just fine.
How to Make Oat Milk Hot Cocoa
You are 5 minutes away from drinking the perfect cup of hot chocolate. Heres how to do it:
Combine cocoa powder, sugar salt and water in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
Then, whisk the mixture constantly until it coms to a full boil and the mixture starts to climb up the sides of the pan. This is important for completely melting the sugar. And since is such a small amount of liquid this only takes a minute or so.
Then slowly add the oat milk into the pan and whisk.
Finally, simply heat the mixture until its hot. And that only takes 1-2 minutes.
And THATS IT peeps. So simple and fast.
Get Creative with Toppings
To top these cups of Oat Milk Hot Cocoa, I chose Dandy's vegan marshmallows and shaved chocolate. But, feel free to play around with toppings. Things that would be delicious additions include:
Non-dairy whipped cream
Crushed Candy Cane
Get creative with it! Hot chocolate should be fun, after all.
This Oat Milk Hot Cocoa is the perfect cozy wintertime beverage. And once you give it a try, you'll never go back to the stuff in the packet- trust me!
Looking for More Chocolate Recipes?
Oat Milk Hot Cocoa
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 2 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 3 Tbsp Water
- Pinch Salt Optional
- 2 Cups Oat Milk or other non-dairy milk
- Vegan Marshmallows and Shaved Chocoalte to Garnish Optional
- In a small sauce pan, combine sugar cocoa powder, water and salt with a whisk. Turn heat to medium high and whisk until the mixture comes to a full boil.2 tablespoon Granulated Sugar, 2 tablespoon Cocoa Powder, 3 tablespoon Water, Pinch Salt
- Slowly whisk in oat milk and reduce heat to low. Heat for 1-2 minutes or until hot.2 Cups Oat Milk
- Pour into two mugs and top with marshmallows and shaved chocolate if desired. Serve immediately.Vegan Marshmallows and Shaved Chocoalte to Garnish